Welcome Partners!

Welcome Partners! This is the official IESE Couples and Family Club site. In this blog you will find all the information you need to make the IESE Partner experience the best! We are waiting for your questions and comments!

Mar 28, 2011

Class 2013 - VISA Questions?

Hi Partners! We have received many questions regarding VISA applications - so here you go, some experiences from partners:

The rules for the VISA very with each country. However, persons from the EU do not need a VISA. It is best to go to the website of the Spanish consulate in the country where you reside at this time. The VISA is only to enter Spain and will last 30 days after entering, after which you need your NIE.  

The NIE (Número de Identificación de Extranjero) is the ID for foreigners in Spain and it is what you will need to open a bank account in Barcelona. The process for obtaining it is not very difficult, but it will take some paperwork and time. If you are a citizen of the EU, you will have to go to a different address then if you are from a different country.
It has been mentioned to some that you need a marriage certificate for the NIE, but it has not been asked of us. You do need a letter explaining how you will finance your stay here (students will have this letter from their application to IESE, but make sure your name is included in the letter as well).  Students will also need to show a letter that they were accepted to IESE.

Address for EU citizens:
C/ Balmes 192 (10 minutes walk from Diagonal metro.) The office is open from 9am to 2pm but it is advised to go at an early time.

Address for Non-EU citizens with a student VISA (as well as spouses and children with this VISA):
C/ Guadalajara 1-3 (corner C/Bosch) Metro station: Diagonal. The office is open from 9am to 2pm but it’s advised to go at an early time.

For a detailed list of Spanish consulates around the world, see www.embassiesabroad.com.


  1. Monica,

    I am bringing my pet, does he need a Visia too? ; )

  2. Haha, in response to your comment Ms. Tayra- I have to say no since he fits in your bag. :)

  3. The process for Americans is different. Although US citizens may enter Spain for 90 days without a visa, you will need to get a visa in order to get the NIE. It is best to start the visa application process as soon as you find out you are coming to Barcelona. In our case it took almost 3 months to get the visa.

    Regarding pets, I know Tayra's pet is already here but incoming partners who wish to bring their pet should follow the instructions on this site: http://mapausa.org/indexeng.htm